Salt Lick Bar-B-Que in Driftwood, Texas

Just how good is the Bar-B-Que at the Salt Lick Bar-B-Que in Driftwood, Texas?  So good that two different Food Network stars called it, "the Best Thing I Ever Ate."  But they aren't the only celebs that venture to this landmark smoke joint just outside of Austin.  Check out this who's who list reviews:
Sandra Bullock "My God, this food! It’s the best, I mean, the best!"

Adam Richman, Host of Man v. Food - The Travel Channel "My never ending quest for barbeque bliss has lead me to the Salt Lick. Unbelievable! It melts in your mouth. One of the best things I have ever eaten! And the burnt ends of the brisket – a work of true, true poetry - crispy, creamy, chewy, salty, and sweet from the sauce. They were perfect!"

David Letterman "Paul and I were in Austin a year ago and if you want good, real actual BBQ, you got to go to Austin…Salt Lick, that's right, Salt Lick…tremendous. I bring this up because I'm hoping they'll send us some." (and they did!)

Lance Armstrong "The best barbecue is at a place called The Salt Lick."

Dennis Quaid "Ten miles out of town in the Hill Country there’s a great barbecue place called The Salt Lick that’s worth the drive."
And our two Food Network chefs, what did they have to say?  Well they said it on the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate."  What does that tell you?
Bobby Flay, "Here is the real deal. I eat a ton of those Salt Lick beef ribs. They are fantastic! Lots of flavor! Salt lick makes their own barbeque rules. It is so good. Beef ribs are something I don’t usually cook. It is something I leave to the Salt Lick."

Duff Goldman "My favorite plate of barbecue is at The Salt Lick in Austin, Texas. It’s huge. Awesome! The flavor of the sausage is so intense. The brisket is super tender and really good."
The Salt Lick is a true Third Coast success story as the roots of restaurant run back to Mississippi in the mid-1800s. Scott Roberts, the current owner of the Salt Lick, had a great-grandmother, Bettie Howard, who came to this land from Desoto, Miss. in 1867.  On the trip by wagon train to Driftwood, Bettie barbequed meat by searing it and then slow cooking it over coals – the same method the family uses today.  Today people come from all over the world to eat at the Salt Lick maybe it's because, on a good day, you can smell the smoke from Canada.

But don't take our word for it.  Take a look for yourself:


0 Responses