Going Coastal: Mardi Gras Slaw

I have never been a fan of traditional mayonnaise-based cole slaw.  I have never been able to figure out why?  I like mayo, I like cabbage, I dig carrots but not all in the same little shredded goo.  I am not alone either, for every person I know that likes cole slaw I know a dozen that share my dislike for it.

I have found that I am a fan of vinegar-based slaws like curtido from Mexico and Central America and the slaws found at many Jewish delicatessens.  When I make a slaw I usually toss it with a dressing of some sort like an Asian ginger-sesame vinaigrette.  I developed a slaw at one restaurant we called Mardi Gras slaw because it contained the three colors of carnival: purple, green and gold.  Purple was easy, purple (red) cabbage instead of green.  Green came from finely diced jalapeño.  The gold was from golden raisins.  Here's the recipe:

Mardi Gras Slaw
1 head purple cabbage, shredded
2 jalapeños, seeds and membrane removed then finely diced
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon onion powder or 1 tablespoon finely diced green onion
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
2/3 cup Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

In a large bowl toss the cabbage with the celery salt, mixing thoroughly.  Add the jalapeño, raisins and onion powder (or green onion) then toss.  Incorporate the vinaigrette thoroughly and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup garlic infused oil*
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Creole or other whole grain mustard
1/4 cup sugar

In a small sauce pan, mix the balsamic and the sugar. Heat on low to reduce by half.   Once cool, pour the reduction into a blender and add mustard, salt and pepper then blend (don't forget the lid).  Remove the blender's small cap slowly pour in the oil in a thin steady stream.  Once all oil is in, put the cap back on and blend on high for one minute.

*Making garlic infused oil is easy.  Break down a head of garlic so that all of the cloves are separated and  their paper (peel) removed.  Place a small sauce pan over medium heat and add a cup of canola oil.  When the oil is hot, drop the garlic into the oil and basically fry it until it is a deep caramel color, roughly 20 minutes.  Allow the oil to cool before using.  With a fork mash the fried garlic cloves and spread on toasted French bread because it is tastilicious.
0 Responses