Rémoulade Week: Day Three

We've explored a few recipes for rémoulade so far this week and all have something in common, the addition of mustard. Though most classical recipes contain mustard, not all rémoulades do. I once had a sweet plum rémoulade at an Irish pub in Tennessee that was amazing with their fish cakes. Sadly, the eatery is gone. Too bad, because I'd kill a drifter for that recipe.

Port City Rémoulade
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons horseradish
Tabasco sauce to taste
Cajun seasoning to taste

Mix, chill and serve. My mother would make big bowls of this stuff any time we fried or boiled shrimp. It is very similar to the sauces that the chain restaurants serve with their colossal fried onion thingies. I have made my own adjustments to the original family recipe.

Dauphin Island Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup salad cubes (a large diced pickle relish) with liquid
2 large boiled eggs, chopped
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
Dash Worcestershire Sauce (optional)

Mix, chill and serve. If you think this recipe looks a lot like Thousand Island Dressing you are right. It is my spin on the old standard with bigger flavors and a lot chunkier. It is equally at home on a burger, a salad or as a dipping sauce for seafood. In fact, I use it as an alternative to the common shrimp cocktail by serving in a martini glass and calling it a Shrimptini.

Oh, and if you happened to have worked at the Seanachie in Nashville circa 1998 and know the recipe for that plum rémoulade, hit me up.
0 Responses